Thursday, April 23, 2009

Daddy's Boy

I've decided that I want to dedicate a blog post each week to a special person in Carter's life. And what person is better to start with than his favorite person in the whole world...his dad! Lately Carter has been absolutely obessessed with his daddy. Every other word out of his mouth is "daa-dee!" Two mornings this week I went into his room to wake him up and he immediately slid out of my arms and ran into our bedroom to find Cary. Although this makes me a teeny bit jealous, I love how much Cary loves this. So here is why Carter loves his daddy so much:

-Cary will take him outside whenever he wants! Even if it is cold or Carter is in pajamas or Carter doesn't have shoes on or there is snow on the ground, Cary will take him outside to play.

-Cary plays "I'm gonna get you!" This is probably Carter's favorite game and so of course, this scores some brownie points for his dad.

-Cary doesn't worry about wiping Carter's face after he eats, washing his hands after playing inside or giving baths. Boys should be messy. And since getting his face or hands washed is one of Carter's most dreadful moments, his daddy again scores some serious points.

-Bedtime? What bedtime? If it's after 8:00 on any given night, I'm usually the one saying that it's time for Carter to go to bed. Cary's response is always "Really? Already? Can't he stay up a little longer?"

-Breakfast! Every morning, Cary and Carter have breakfast together while I finish getting ready for work. Although Carter would love to have a waffle every single day, Cary really tries to mix up his morning meals. His most common breakfast meals include scrambled eggs, toast and jelly (what a mess!), peanut butter toast, apple cinnamon waffles, or regular waffles. And he always has fruit. Sometimes Cary even sneaks a little bit of syrup in there! Last week Cary made Carter a fruit smoothie. This was a learning experience for us. Carter can not drink out of a regular cup and will not eat a smoothie with a spoon. Instead he will just pour it down the front of him and wear it on his pajamas all morning.

-Cary is just plain fun. I am guilty of trying to mulitask when I'm at home with Carter. We'll play for a little bit and then I'll sneak into the kitchen to make dinner or sweep the floor. Or Carter will play in the basement while I sit on the floor and fold laundry. Cary, on the other hand, dedicates his entire "Carter time" to playing. And that's how it should be. They'll play with rocks in the yard, or basketball in the basement, or with toys in the living room. They just have alot of fun....and Carter loves it!

-Cary is a really great dad. He's better than I imagined he'd be...and I really thought he'd be an awesome father. He's loving and gives lots of hugs and kisses. He's patient and waits for Carter to learn to do things on his own. He's laid-back and just wants Carter to have a fun life. He's a strong disciplinarian and Carter knows when his dad means business. He's funny and he absolutely loves to hear Carter laugh. He's proud. He works hard and I know that he does that for both of us. And he loves coming home. I don't think anything makes him happier. Carter is so blessed to have such an amazing dad!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Love this Ali! I think Daddys are better at just playing and not doig 8 million other things at once!

MadKanga said...

I remember when you were really worried if Cary would be a good dad or not....tee hee hee. Yeah, what is it with dads not acknowledging bedtimes? I think this is why: we are so busy multi-tasking AND playing so at 8 p.m., we're more tired than they are! : ) Cary is a great dad- I can testify to that!