Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Summer of '09

Tomorrow is a big day...it's the day that my students all come back to school. Even though I've been at school the past three days, my official hours of 8:00 to 4:00 don't start until tomorrow. And so here I sit, thinking about how great our summer has been. The last week or two I've really been thinking about how Carter will be so much different next summer. All of our activities will be different because he'll be a whole new kid with new tricks and new interests. I just wish I could freeze this moment in time and never have anything change. But I know that isn't possible...so this is what I will miss most about the Summer of 2009:
-Having a 19 month old who walks, runs, jumps, laughs, plays and talks.
-Spending my summer days with just one little person...every single morning and afternoon.
-Waking up and just waiting to hear the first noises coming from Carter's room.
-Watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in our bed right after Carter wakes up. Other visitors in our bed during this time include Carter's "ni-nee" and his "bankie."
-Watching Carter dance to the Hot Dog Song.
-Hearing him ask Cary for "faffles" (waffles) or watching Carter eat cereal and milk with a spoon like a big boy.
-Not being rushed throughout the day to do anything...including showering, cleaning, or doing laundry.
-Listening to Carter's sweet little voice say "thank you" when you give him his sippy or his lunch or hand him a toy he can't reach.
-Hearing Carter say "Sorry, Mama/Daddy" when it was actually YOU who bumped into HIM.
-Having just a kind little boy around the house who, although he can throw a fit or get into trouble, usually is so fun and pleasant to be around.
-Laughing at the funny things Carter says and does.
-Playing in the sprinkler in the yard.
-Going on walks and pointing out the boat in the neighbor's driveway, the jeep in other other neighbors' driveway and every other car or truck in between.
-Playing at the park.
-Eating lunch together at our kitchen table and trying to carry on a conversation with a 1 year-old.
-Visiting Daddy at work and playing with his silly putty, airplane or business cards.
-Watching Carter play with his trucks, cars, boats or trains...he LOVES transportation!!
-Having the time to read a book on the back deck while Carter plays in the yard - chasing Maddie, going down the slide, mowing with his bubble mower, or playing with his trucks.
-Afternoon field trips to the zoo, Ashby Pool, Science Center, Chuck E. Cheese, Jumpin' Jacks, botanical center, Stuart park and the mall play place (and usually with a friend!)
-Tuesday morning $1.00 movies at Jordan Creek.
-Drinking coffee with Alicia on the deck at 8:00am.
-Taking two naps a day - a short one in the morning and a 2 hour one in the afternoon. (Carter, not me...although I usually worked in a short afternoon one!)
-Going to Ely twice - and all of the fun that comes with that!
-Boating on "Papa's boat" at Panorama and swimming at the beach.
-Waiting for Daddy to get home from work so the boys can play outside while I fix dinner.
-Hearing Carter yell "airplane" every time he hears one in the sky.
-Going on walks, playing at the park, biking at Raccoon River Park, going to a baseball or softball game, or just hanging out with Cary in the evenings.
-Watching Madagascar 2 (which Carter calls "Rrrr...") at least once a week.
-Grilling out and eating dinner on the deck.
-Playing with play-dough and having Carter guess what we made.
-Bubbles...
-Watching Carter pray with us at the dinner table - and actually wait to eat until we've said Amen - followed by a "high five!"
-Spending our weekends together as a family and trying to do new, fun things.
-Hearing Carter say "I wuv ewe, Mama/Daddy."
-Quietly re-capping Carter's day as you are just about to lay him down.
-Watching Entourage or a rented movie with Cary after Carter has gone to sleep.
-Falling alseep feeling so blessed to have such an amazing son who is happy and healthy. And to have a husband who works so hard every day so that I can spend my summer days just hanging out with our little boy. I'll miss these summer days so much and hope I always remember what Carter was like at this age. And I pray that I can have many more summers equally as fun, relaxing and memorable as this one!

1 comment:

MadKanga said...

You'll be happy you wrote those all down because next summer, you will ask yourself, "What did I do with him last summer????" It's funny how fast you forget and how fast you move on to the next thing! We, on the other hand, did not get a lot of Carter time this summer. : (