Lately I've been thinking alot about what I want my kids to remember about their childhood. Now that Carter is seeming more and more like a "big kid," I know he'll remember this time in his life. I want him to look back and think that he had the best childhood. And while Brynn has been going through a rough patch recently with temper tantrums, I'm hoping she won't remember this time (nor will I!), and she will come through this being a confident, kind, and happy girl. The days and weeks go by so quickly...and I want to be intentional with my parenting. So as a reminder to myself to be patient when they misbehave, positive even when I'm not in a positive mood, loving at all times, and present whenever possible, here is a list of things I hope my kids will look back and remember about their childhood days at home:
-Family time between dinner and bedtime every night. Going on a walk, taking a family bike ride to the ice cream shop, going to the park, playing in the backyard, or having a dance party in the living room. That hour and a half between 6:30 and 8:00 is dedicated to our family.
-Going to church on Sundays. Sometimes it's St. Mark and sometimes it's St. Augustin. Regardless of where we go, I want them to remember that going to church was important and a part of each week.
-Our bedtime routine. Baths, books, and lots of snuggles. And sometimes Family Book Night - where we all read books together on our bed.
-Their mom and dad spending time together. I want them to see that we have a love for each other besides just being their parents. I want them to know that their parents love each other and just love being together.
-Dinner every night at the table. I know this will get harder as they get older and more involved in other activities, but for now, dinnertime involves all four of us around our table with no outside distractions.
-Lazy weekends. Following Dad around the yard, helping him with little projects. Helping Mom in the kitchen. Having no set schedule. Playing outside and coming in only for meals and bedtime.
-Mom's days off. Going to the mall play place, the zoo, or the park. Having lunch together and not having to rush anywhere.
-Time with extended family. Seeing their cousins, grandparents and aunts and uncles on a regular basis. Feeling like they have a huge support system of people that care about them.
-Holidays. I hope they think that every holiday and birthday was made a big deal. I hope Christmas is magical, and Valentine's Day and Easter and Halloween all have special traditions associated with them. I hope they remember their birthdays as being a day just for them.
-Family vacations. Cary and I both want our kids to rememeber going places with us and so we make it a priority to go somewhere (even nearby) every year. I hope they remember staying at the Waterpark of America in Minneapolis, and playing on the beach in California, and many trips to the cabin in Ely.
-Love. I just hope that they know they are loved and accepted and safe at home...no matter what. I hope they see love between their parents and love for Jesus and love for our family and friends.
Each day is not always going to be like this. Some days are harder than others. Some days involve a little too much screen time whether it be the TV, cell phones, or computer. And some days are just too busy and overscheduled. But I hope that in general, these are the things that my kids remember. And I hope that I can remember to create this environment for them as often as I can. That's my goal. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment