I documented at least one thing every day. Here's what we did...
MONDAY
We started the day with an early morning bike ride around the neighborhood. Since I knew the forecast was for rain later in the day, we went to the Prairie Life pool from 9 to 10 am. Great way to start the day and get some energy out.
Since the rain and storms still hadn't started by mid-morning, we went to the WDM library to get our halfway prizes for the summer reading program, read some books, and do some puzzles.
Home for lunch and just as we were putting the dishes away, the tornado sirens went off. The kids and I buckled down in Carter's room for an hour and watched a movie from the library while I folded laundry. TUESDAY
We hung around the house in the morning and then decided to go to Legion Park. I knew it had been redone last year and we hadn't visited it yet, so I knew the kids would love it. Lots of cool things to climb on but a little crowded by the time we left.
It was a gorgeous day and I didn't want the kids to just sit inside after the park, so we stopped home to pick up their bikes, and went to the WDM library for a ride around the pond. Carter has been LOVING his new green bike (purchased with gift cards left over from his birthday...a half-birthday present, really) and now looks like such a big kid on it...standing while he rides, cutting corners, riding waaay ahead of us. Brynn does great on her Dora bike and pedals like mad. So I am constantly having to speed-walk to keep up. All in all, great exercise for all of us.
Later in the day, we did some sidewalk chalk on the driveway while waiting for Dad to get home from work.
WEDNESDAYOkay...I cheated a little on this day. The kids and I had planned a picnic with Alicia and since I was really trying to cook with whatever was in the house, I had nothing that would have worked for a picnic. No bread, no peanut butter, no meat, nothing. So I decided to make a quick trip to the store to buy Lunchables for the kids and a deli sandwich and drink for me. $13. And then, of course, a Starbucks because I had a 30 minute drive to Alicia's and it seemed completely necessary. And the kids wanted milk to drink. Another $8. I actually felt sooo guilty when I walked out of the store. It was a bit of a personal fail.
But we were back on track as we drove to Madrid to hang out at Alicia's house. The kids loved playing there and I loved just chatting and catching up. We then took their bikes to the High Tressel Trail and went on a long ride/walk. The weather was a little chilly and windy but it was such a fun thing to do. Again, more exercise for all of us! We had an indoor picnic at Alicia's house and then made our way home.
Our neighbors invited us down for drinks and dessert after dinner and the kids had a great time all playing together. It was a great way to end the day.
THURSDAY
My fridge was too bare to ignore at this point. I had to go to the store and I really didn't want to. But I was down to only weird frozen stuff, 1/4 of a galloon of milk, and absolutely no fresh fruits or vegetables. Plus, we had the 4th of July weekend upon us and I had several things I wanted to make for the weekend. So I caved and made a big grocery store run.
When we got home, Kelly and her boys and two girls she babysits came over for a playdate. We played outside a little, but mostly the kids liked playing in the house. Brynn loved helping with 7-month-old Kendall and proved that she will be a very helpful big sister. Kelly and I sat and talked while Brynn fed her, wiped her mouth, and brought her toys. Carter, Griffin and Mac played all sorts of things and got along just great.
THE WEEKEND
We literally just hung out at home almost all weekend long. Cary worked in the yard and organized the garage. We blew up the kids' pool and put it at the end of the slide which brought hours of enjoyment. We made big breakfasts, went on family walks, swam at the pool, grilled out on our deck, took naps, ate popsicles, did sparklers, watched fireworks with the neighbors, and slept in. On Saturday, Cary's parents' were in town so we visited them and went out for pizza and then Cary and I rented a movie. On Sunday, we went to church and my parents came for lunch. Mom took me shopping for a few baby things and some new after-baby pajamas. And just like that, the three day weekend was over. We spent very little money and were completely refreshed.
I decided to keep going with the no-spending at this point, and I was happy that we'd planned for the Murphy's to come over. Our kids really play so well together and they all had a blast in the pool and slide in our backyard. I loved chatting with Jenny too...it had been way too long!
After rest-time, I took the kids to the Clive pool (I bought a pool pass earlier this summer). I always love going at that time of day when it's not too crowded and not too hot. The kids loved the lazy river!!
TUESDAY
I didn't take any photos, but the kids and I went to the Valley Community Center play place on Tuesday morning. They were the only kids there and despite starting to get a little sick of each other, they pulled it together and played "treehouse." Then I had an OB appointment so I dropped the kids at Cary's office where they had lunch and walked around the pond. After naps, Katelyn and Claire came over to play. I had promised Kate a trip to Cherry Berry so we went there for ice cream, came back for a walk through the neighborhood and inside play, and then met Julie for dinner at Noodles and Company. Yes, I spent a little this day, but it was totally worth it!! :)
WEDNESDAY
Another beautiful day so we played outside in the morning. I also organized our linen closet while the kids played. We had an early lunch and then went to the Westridge school playground. It had been redone and was awesome!! After naps, we played Legos and then had our neighbors over for dinner. The kids played in the outdoor pool and actually played and played until almost 10:00.
TODAY
We met my friend Rachel and her kids at the Legion Park Splash Pad for playtime and a picnic. And now, we're about to go out for a bike ride around the neighborhood. It's been a great challenge and I feel really good about it. I feel like I've had the chance to reconnect with some friends, the kids have had plenty of play dates to mix it up, and we've been outside so much. Plus, we're crossing a lot of things off our summer to-do list. I may just keep this challenge up for yet another week! :)








No comments:
Post a Comment