Monday, January 12, 2009

Bring The Rain

I was sitting at my desk just now working on a document for a meeting next week. I had just met with some girls and have had a busy day with students with different issues. Most of the time I just go through the day and don't internalize the problems that the kids are facing. Usually it's the ones who have lost a parent, are struggling with divorced parents, or are dealing with abusive issues that make me really think. Those are the ones that I really pray for at night and I think alot about. Probably because I usually can't make those situations better. Most of the time my job is to help the student "fix" his/her problems. But when a parent dies or parents are divorcing and a new boyfriend/girlfriend has moved in, I can't "fix" those. Well just now I was sitting at my desk and one of my favorite Mercy Me songs came on the radio. This has been a song that has really spoken to me in the past few months, but today - for some reason - it seemed fitting. And I just wanted to share the message of this song with others. It speaks of hope and God's love. And it talks about how the difficult times are the ones that bring you closer to God. It says that if it takes tough times to bring you closer to Him, then bring on those tough times...because being close to God is better than anything. So maybe someone reading this blog will find the comfort and meaning behind it that I feel every time I hear it.

Bring the Rain
I can count a million times, people asking me how I can praise You with all that I've gone through.
The question just amazes me: can circumstances possibly change who I forever am in You?
Maybe since my life was changed long before these rainy days it's never really ever crossed my mind to turn my back on you, oh Lord, my only shelter from the storm.
But instead I draw closer through these times.
So I pray...
Bring me joy, bring me peace,
Bring the chance to be free,
Bring me anything that brings You glory.
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain,
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain.
I am yours regardless of
the clouds that may loom above
because you are much greater than my pain.
You who made a way for me
suffering your destiny so tell me whats a little rain?

2 comments:

MadKanga said...

Love it. Thank you!

alicia said...

Ali, I love this post. I really needed to read the words of that song tonight. I was thinking about a big week ahead and I feel like your words made it all make sense. PS I loved having dinner with you tonight. Ryan and I had a great time!!!