Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer

Summer is in full swing and we've really been enjoying every day.  It seems like the kids and I have some sort of activity between Brynn's naps each day (library story time, the pool, the park, mall play place, play dates with friends, visits from Grandma, and just hanging out in our yard).  It also seems like we've had a family activity almost every night (baseball games, dinner with friends, the pool, walks to the park, boat rides, etc).  So it's been busy...in a good way. 


Last week was a big week for Brynn.  First, I bought her very first Pink Hippo bows that clip into her hair.  :)  I had been so excited for her hair to be long enough to brush to the side and then clip.  It's so stinkin' cute.  And I can tell that I might have a problem at that store....WAY too many cute bows to choose from!
Then, I painted her toenails for the first time.  I debated as to whether she was too young.  But then after talking to both Grandma's and realizing that she is already 8 months old, it was time! :)  Let me just say, that was not easy.  She kept trying to grab the polish bottle and then wanted to touch her wet toes.  Needless to say, they are totally smudged...but totally adorable! :) Carter, however, was not a fan.  When he noticed that she had painted toenails, he started crying and said "Take it off! Why are her toes pink?  When will they go back to normal?" 

And finally, although this really was more of an achievement for me rather than Brynn, I made her first pillowcase dress.  I had been looking at some dresses on Etsy and thought that maybe I could make one.  I did a little online research to see how to make them and then hit up the fabric store. I also had to borrow Bobbi's sewing machine that is probably from 1980.  Luckily it came with a nice instruction manual!  The dress took me about 3 hours and cost me $18 (when you can buy them on Etsy for around $20)...so not really the most cost or time-effective.  BUT...I was really proud of myself.  She even wore it to church on Sunday.  Now I kind of have the itch to make another one.  This time floral and more vintage-looking. 
On Wednesday, Katelyn and Claire came over to play for a few hours.  Cary helped me get a few shots of the kids together.  Oh Carter....how he hates smiling for the camera. 
Friday night we hung out with some of my college friends and their husbands.  We played yard games, ate, drank, and chatted.  A fun night and so great to hang out with everyone!
Saturday morning we took Carter to see Cars 2 while Brynn stayed with Grandma Bobbi.  Although we obviously love having Brynn around, it was fun to have a little one-on-one time with Carter.  He was so cute at the theater, laughing at the previews and repeating the funny lines while stuffing his mouth full of popcorn.  Unfortunately, we didn't make it all the way through the movie.  I think that mostly had to do with the fact that we wanted to get there early and therefore, Carter sat for almost an hour before the movie even started.  Oops. 

After the movie, Alicia and I went to Crafternoon at my friend Abbey's house.  It was mostly girls from my church and we made cute poppy hair pins.  Such a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon!  I hope we do it again!

Then on Sunday afternoon, we took Joe, Holly and the boys to Lake Panorama.  Although the sun wasn't out the whole time, we had a great time riding in the boat, eating, playing at the beach, and swimming.  A fun way to end the weekend. 

And the quote of the morning:
Carter: Wow. Good job, Mommy.
Me: Thanks, Carter.  What did I do?
Carter: You vaccuumed.  Good job.

Guess he noticed the lines in the carpet.  A man after my own heart.

1 comment:

Jill Janes said...

Looks like a fantastic summer, Ali! In "stalking" your blog, I see that you are pretty crafty and I share your excitement for Brynn's adorable hair bows. I started making quite a few of my own for my girls because Grace usually needs two matching bows to keep the curly pigtails at bay. Here's a site I found with some great instructions with step by step pictures for making several kinds of boutique bows:

http://www.girlythingsbows.com/boutique_bow.html

Knowing you, you probably already have some fantastic designs of your own, but I thought I'd share anyway. : )

Jill