One of my favorite past-times is trying new recipes and one of my new addictions is Pinterest. So I thought I'd do a post about some of the Pinterest recipes that I've tried over the past few months. The good, the bad and the ugly! :)
Before I do the Pinterest recipe recap, I thought I'd share last night's dinner at our house. I love IowaGirlEats.com and all of her fun recipes. I feel like I know her, but I don't! ;) Anyway, the stuffed pasta shells are super easy and really good. One of our family favorites. Plus, the recipe made enough to make a full pan and freeze another smaller pan. Gotta love that! The brown butter banana bread cookies were insane. I seriously ate four last night and brought two with me to school today. That brown butter frosting really made the recipe. The kids liked them too.
Stuffed Pasta Shells
Brown Butter Banana Bread Cookies
Now, on to the Pinterest recipes that I've tried. I've given every recipe a grade at the bottom! Enjoy! :)
Better than Sex Chex Mix
I made this for a gathering at Cary's parents' for Holly's birthday. I doubled the batch so I was actually kind of sick of this stuff by the time it was gone. But I had three different people ask for the recipe, so I guess people liked it. To me, I thought it took too many ingredients...most of the stuff I didn't have on hand. And the ingredients were a bit costly. But it's a new spin on Chex Mix, so that's fun! And who doesn't love chocolate, white chocolate, caramel, peanut butter, and marshmellow all mixed together? All in all, it's worth a try. Grade = B
Ham and Cheese Sliders
Okay, this recipe is seriously one of my favorites. I first made these for Brynn's birthday party and have made them several times since. I think the key is the Hawaiian rolls. I'm craving them just thinking about them right now. Whoever came up with the recipe rocks! :) They are so easy to put together, you can easily make 50+ of these, and you can make them up before guests arrive and then just bake them when it's time to eat. Probably my new go-to party recipe. Grade = A+
BLT Pasta Salad
I made this to go along with the sliders at Brynn's birthday. I'm a big bacon fan so I really liked it but didn't get a ton of feedback on the recipe. All in all, I'd give it a try if you're looking for something different than Italian pasta salad. Grade = A-
Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits
I've made these a couple of times and they really do taste like the biscuits at Red Lobster. What I love most is that I always have these ingredients on hand. It's a quick and easy and perfect to go along with soup or salad. Grade = A
Crack Bread
I made this once for a Sorensen family gathering and I had really high hopes for it. I think next time I'd be more careful to make sure the butter gets in between every single crack. It's a fun and unique appetizer but not a show-stopper. :) Grade = B
Carmelitas
The picture of these looked sooo good. Unfortunately, I overcooked the bottom layer and they tasted weird. I think I'll try it again and watch the kitchen timer more carefully next time! Grade = C
Creamy Chicken and Biscuits
I actually pinned this recipe to Pinterest because I've made it several times and love it more every time. I saw this first in the Real Simple magazine and made it on a whim. I love the sweetness of the sauce and the heartiness of the meal. It's a down-home type of dinner, which I love! :) Grade = A
Meatball Sliders
These were super easy and quick and really pretty good. I made them as a meal with a salad, but they'd be good as an appetizer too. The came together in a snap. I'm a little weirded out by frozen meatballs, so I think homemade meatballs (Bobbi???) would make these that much better. Grade = A-
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
These were RICH and dense and seriously needed a fork to eat them. My aunt Linda makes the best cookie dough brownies and after making these, I think the two recipes are very comparable. These have a bit of a "wow" factor with the thick layer of cookie dough and drizzled chocolate. Grade = A
Oreo Pudding Poke Cake
Well I have decided that I'm not good at making cakes where you pour things on top of them. Every time I make Better Than Sex Cake, I end up with a thick layer of caramel on top rather than the caramel intermixed with the chocolate cake. This recipe had the same problem. I think maybe I let the pudding set up too long before I poured it on? Or maybe the cake wasn't warm enough when I poured the pudding over? The other mistake I made was putting the crushed oreos on top of the cake hours before serving it. Totally soggy. Cary did take this to work and he said everyone ate it, so I guess it wasn't terrible...just not the best either. I think the recipe is probably good, it was just baker's error this time around! :) Grade = C
Cinnamon Roll Cake
This was really good. It reminded Cary and I of Aunt Bobbye's coffee cake that we have at the lake. It could have easily been served as a dessert or as a sweet breakfast. I'll be making this again for sure. Grade = A
Creamy Crock Pot Chicken
Well I have to say that this recipe was a bit unforgettable. I shredded the chicken and mixed it with Uncle Ben's rice and then broiled it for a few minutes with mozzarella cheese on top. I think it's just a pretty basic chicken recipe, but it was easy and creamy (which is right up my alley) so I'll make it again. Grade = B (only because I can't remember it that well)
Spicy Chicken Rigatoni
I made this last weekend and it was really good but really spicy. The kids couldn't eat it...Carter kept saying that his tongue was burning! :) I like spicy and I like pasta, so it got my seal of approval. Grade = A-
Pizza Casserole
This was okay, nothing special. Cary makes a different pizza casserole with a Bisquick crust that I like alot better than this one. Might be worth a shot for your family though. Grade = C
Chicken Broccoli Cheese Casserole
This was good....reminded me of California Blend that my mom makes. Anything topped with crushed crackers and butter is good, right? It's pretty rich and so I probably couldn't eat it too often. But if you're looking for a new chicken recipe, this is a good one to try. Grade = B
Outback Steakhouse Crock-pot Potato Soup
This is my new go-to potato soup recipe. I love that it's made with frozen hashbrowns and so you don't have to peel, chop and boil regular potatoes. Plus, it takes literally 5 minutes to throw these ingredients together in the morning, it cooks all day, and you have a warm dinner ready for you when you walk in the door! I've made this numerous times already this winter and I've learned a few things about the recipe. The cream cheese doesn't melt really easily, so I usually microwave mine for a minute before adding it to the soup. I also have added 50% more hashbrowns than the recipe calls for because I like substance in my soup. One time I made it and the hashbrowns had nearly disintegrated and it was just a brothy soup. The next time, I cooked it a little less time and added more potatoes - perfect! Grade = A
Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
So good and perfect for fall. I made this recipe months ago and all I remember was that it was dense and moist and the caramel on top was awesome. Add this to your fall baking schedule! Grade = A
I'd love to hear if you make any of these recipes! And "yippee" for a post that isn't about my children! (Although they are pretty darn sweet!) :)
No comments:
Post a Comment