This week is going to be a little different though. First...I decided to attempt to potty-train Brynn this week. Carter was exactly one year older than she is when he was trained, but she's been acting ready for awhile now. Yesterday, for example, she patted her diaper three different times to tell me she needed to go. At one point, she found a diaper in my purse, pulled out a wipe, and went and laid down to be changed. So this morning, I put her in big girl undies and decided to see what happened. When I put her diaper on at 1:30 for her nap, her pants were still dry. She went potty about six times today and even pooped in the potty once. So far, so good! I'm definitely not pushing it and will not be surprised or disappointed if it doesn't work. But, it just felt strange to say "just go in your diaper" when she told me that she had to go. The biggest problem will be that she can't even say "potty"...so as of now she tells me by patting the front of her diaper and saying "uh-oh." That will be interesting in public places. :)
Since we're doing the potty-training thing, we really can't go anywhere. With Carter, I just put him in big boy undies, made him go to the bathroom every half hour or so, and didn't leave the house until he was trained. It took about two days. So I'm doing the same with Brynn...and therefore, not leaving the house. That intimidates me a bit since I am constantly on the go with the kids. I'm not the best "get on the floor and play" type of mom, so I'd always prefer taking them to the zoo or pool or something. But the idea of staying home and not spending any money sounded really refreshing...and it kind of made me excited about challenging myself to not spend any money this week. No trips to Target. (Ahhh!) No stops for lunch or coffee. Nothing that costs money. I did need a few essential groceries (whole milk for Brynn and some fresh fruit), so I made a quick $20 run to Hy-Vee. But that's it. That's all I'm spending all week. Dinner will be made with whatever we have in the house. And anything else that seems like a necessity will have to wait. Honestly, this is going to be REALLY hard for me. Like nearly impossible. But I'm hoping that by blogging about it, I'll hold myself accountable!
So for our first day of "going-nowhere and spending no money" fun, here's what we did...
A Nature Scavenger Hunt
Thank you, Pinterest, for the idea and free printable! We went out early this morning before it was too hot. Carter was even still in his jammies...but he loved it! It was also great practice for him to cross items off the list - I love squeezing in things that help with his fine-motor skills. Brynn walked ahead of us the whole time. I thought maybe I'd see a trail of pee down the sidewalk...but nope!
Popsicles in the Pool
It was HOT when we got back, so I let the kids have popsicles at 10:00am while playing in the pool.
Help Make Lunch - and Milkshakes
After an hour in the pool and some time on the swings, Carter said he wanted to make milkshakes. And as I realized that I had all of the ingredients on hand, I agreed. Four little hands helped make grilled cheese sandwiches and chocolate milk-shakes. Then...back in the pool until naps.
Next up?
I'm not sure. Maybe some time in the sprinkler and sidewalk chalk. I have a box of pink lemonade cupcakes just dying to be made for dessert tonight. And then probably an evening trip to the park when Dad gets home. I'll be back to let you know what tomorrow brings...
No comments:
Post a Comment