Thursday, July 12, 2012

4th of July

We had a great 4th of July celebrating with friends and family.  The day started with the Urbandale parade with the Rose family.  It was HOT and once the kids filled their buckets with candy, we called it quits and went home.  I tried to get a photo of the kids before the parade and ended up with a bunch of shots showing off their sweet personalities.  I couldn't pick just one to share.  :)

Brynn and Cassie! 
Waiting for candy
"It's hot, Dad." 
Later that day, we went to Scott and Terri's for a pool party.  I took my camera but didn't take one picture - probably because I was in the pool the whole time.  Carter's big accomplishment of the day was that he swam with his life-jacket rather than holding on to one of us.  That made such a difference for Cary and I in the pool - and I think he enjoyed the independence of swimming around the pool with all of the Coppola cousins. We had a great BBQ and lots of laughs with many of the Coppola/McMurray relatives.  And afterwards, it was early to bed for all of us.


I have to say that I under-estimated my kids.  We're having some friends over for dinner tonight and so I had about a dozen ears of corn to husk this afternoon.  I asked the kids to come out with me and play in the front yard while I worked on the corn.  As soon as I sat down and Carter noticed what I was doing, he left his trains in the driveway and asked to help.  And surprisingly, he did great!!  I was really impressed with his corn-husking skills!  He husked two full ears all by himself!  When Brynn noticed that Carter was doing something she wasn't, of course she came running to help too.  And, although she didn't really husk a full ear, she did pull several of the layers off.  I'm feeling pretty proud of my two little helpers right now.

No comments: