Saturday, August 16, 2008

Back-to-School

Well it's Sunday morning and Carter is taking his morning nap. We just returned from the hospital to see Carter's newest friend, Riley Nicole. Riley was born on Friday morning (5 weeks early!) to our friends Brett and Jenny. She weighed 4 lbs. 10 oz. and is doing really well. They even get to bring her home today. What a beautiful little girl!





Thursday was our last little horrah before I had to go back to work. I wanted to make sure that I didn't waste the day by running errands or walking the mall. After realizing that Bobbi was watching Davis (Carter's cousin), we decided to take the boys to the pool at Echo Valley. Carter LOVED it!!! He's such a good crawler now and so he just crawled through the shallowest part of the baby pool. He even figured out how to crawl out of the pool. It was really a fun afternoon!

Friday was my first day back at school and so Carter spent the day at daycare. I love Carter's babysitter and so that made the transition so much easier. Her name is Hedy and she quit her job last year to stay home and watch her grandson. Carter spent March through May at Hedy's house and did very well. I was just a little worried that he'd become a mama's boy over the summer and that he wouldn't be very good about not being the center of attention. This year he will just go there three days a week since Bobbi is watching him on Tuesdays and I'm not working on Fridays (yey!!!). I guess right after I dropped him off, he started crying and saying "mamamama." Hedy told me that she was sure he was saying "mama." I sort of doubt it since he's never said it before...but I'd love it if that were the truth! All in all he had a good day. They played outside, he watched everything that Colby (Hedy's grandson) did and he took two good naps. When I walked into Hedy's house to pick him up, he smiled and immediately reached for me...something that he wasn't old enough to do when I last picked him up from Hedy's in May. I have to admit, that felt pretty great! But it felt even better to know that his first day back at daycare had gone better than expected!

Saturday morning we got up early and drove to my parents' house. My cousin Amy and uncle Craig were visiting from Wyoming. Craig was back earlier this summer and met Carter then, but I hadn't seen Amy since last summer. So we had lunch at my parents' house with a bunch of my family members. My brother was there with Katelyn and that always adds some excitement. Carter has really started noticing other kids and so he was really into Kate. She's 18 months and loves saying "baby" and giving him kisses. Carter used to just sit there and let her kiss him and pat him on the head. But not anymore! He kept grabbing at her shirt, pulling her hair, and crawling away. Kate didn't know what to think of him! Those two are going to have so much fun as they get older. Here are some pictures of the two of them...
Playing the piano

Pulling Katelyn's hair



Yesterday afternoon and evening were spent with Cary's high school friends. There was a whiffle ball tournament that Cary wanted to "watch"....but of course he ended up playing most of the day! This just wasn't any whiffle ball tournament though...it involved a slip-and-slide, pool full of dirty water, and beer. I stayed at home with Carter during his 3 1/2 hour nap, and then we joined Cary around 5:00. Carter loved crawling around on the blanket and playing with a puppy that was there. He also loved playing with Kelly and Jess, two of my friends. Cary's friend Sean was totally into Carter, which I thought was so cute! He held him and fed him a cracker for quite a while. Sean's going to be an uncle soon, so that was great practice for him!
Carter & "Uncle" Sean




The Boys! Sean, Cary, Carter & Drew


Afterwards, a group of us went to Gateway Market for dinner on the patio. It was close to Carter's bedtime, but he did great! While we were there, we saw Dr. Hansen, my OB that delivered Carter. Talking to her in that setting just reminded me of how much I like her and how glad I was that she was our doctor.

Oh and the favorite moment of the week: Carter crying in his crib. I know that sounds bad, but it was just the cutest thing. On Thursday night, we put Carter to bed around 8:00. He then woke up crying around 11:00. When I went into his room, he was sitting up, leaning against the corner of his crib, crying with his eyes closed in the dark. Cary came into the room behind me and the two of us just started giggling at how cute he looked. I guess I can't explain it in words, but I have that picture in my head and it is just so funny!

2 comments:

Our Family said...

WOO HOO!! ALI!!! LOVE YOUR BLOG! LOVE KEEPING UPDATED ON YOUR FAMILY!!! If you don't mind, I'm going to put a link to your blog on my page, so I can find it all the time! You have such a wonderful family! Take care and give Carter (and Cary, I suppose) love from us!

Our Family said...

Oh my gosh - you have to tell me about this wiffle ball. I'm having a tournament next year, I swear. =) Anything involving wiffleball, slip and slides and beer. Sounds awesome.