Tuesday, March 10, 2009

On my mind...

I haven't posted in over a week and so I feel like there should be so much to write about. But, plain and simply, there's not a whole lot new going on with us. So I thought I would just post about what's been on my mind the last week or two.

-Friends. Every time I hang out with friends, I just feel so thankful for them. And it seems that each of my friends brings a slightly different type of happiness into my life. I think about all of our friends from different times in our lives and I just smile. I feel so blessed to know all of them. Over the weekend, we hung out with two different sets of friends - the Harden's and the Holmes'. I love that both of these couples have kids around Carter's age. It's fun to watch them interact and talk about our kids non-stop. Both evenings were spent inside in their homes just playing with the kids and enjoying time together.

-Family. Several things have been going on with my family in the last week. First, my grandma Phyllis had an incident at the grocery store where she fainted and hit her head. Now they are running all sorts of tests to find out why she fainted and why her blood pressure is so low. The doctors have said she can't be alone, and since my dad and his sisters all have jobs, it's been a little difficult. In addition to that, my grandma Betty is having some tests also. There's been talk of Parkinson's Disease, but I don't think there is a diagnosis. I know my mom and dad are sad, stressed and frustrated with both of these issues, so that makes me sad too. Hopefully we'll get some answers for both of them soon.

-New Friends. Although we always appreciate our old friends, last night we made some new friends too. We decided to start a young adults dinner group at our church and had our first dinner last night. One of the couples hosted it at their home in Beaverdale. The only couple we knew very well ended up being sick, so Cary and I were both a little hesitant about going. We didn't know anyone, didn't know what we'd talk about and didn't know if we'd have anything in common. Well, Cary and I both had a wonderful time. There were three other couples there and they all were great people. We had a fun St. Patrick's Day themed meal and really had nice conversation. I truly hope some new friendships grow from these monthly dinners. April's dinner is at our house so I'm trying to come up with a fun theme. Any ideas? I'm thinking "spring fever" or something along those lines...

-Spring Break. I - CAN'T - WAIT! Well I guess Spring Break has two parts for me. The first is that I am out of school all next week since it's St. Augustin's spring break. I have very few plans other than hanging out at home with Carter during the day. That time at home is going to be so nice and relaxing! Then, the real Spring Break comes the following week. Cary and I are going to Madeira Beach, Florida with our great friends Josh and Lauren. On the agenda? Sleeping in, going for coffee, putting on a swim suit, laying on the beach, a pool-side lunch with a margarita, mixed drinks on the beach, a fun dinner at a nearby restaurant, and fun times with some awesome friends (we're so sad that the Donnenwerth's and Murphy's can't go! Maybe next year!). I smile just thinking about it. The downside, of course, is leaving Carter. I really hate to leave him...just because I enjoy him so much. But I know he'll have a great time with both sets of grandparents and so I'm not worried at all.

-Things I should be doing. My lenten promise was to read the Bible daily. Well for a week that was going really well. I was really inspired by what I was reading and couldn't wait to talk to Cary about it. Unfortunately, since the weekend, my reading has slowed down. Hopefully tonight I can get back into the swing of things. Also, I should be working out - but I'm not. Last week I did really well getting up at 5:30 and getting on the eliptical. But this week, I just can't get out of bed. I think it's the time change. So...I need to start doing that too. Remember, I have to get in a swim suit in less than 2 weeks!

-Carter. Of course the little guy has been on my mind lately - he's always on my mind. He has been so darn cute this past week. His new thing is really repeating words that we say. It may not always sound exactly like the word, but at least he tries! It's so fun to hear his vocabulary grow each day. I just feel like he's turning into a little boy rather than a baby.

I hope you all have a great Tuesday!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hey Ali- I follow you (found it on Holly's) and after Holly and others have hounded me for weeks- I have finally started the bare bones of a blog!!! Just wanted to say hi!