Monday, March 2, 2009

Weekend Projects

I had the creative bug this weekend. You know how sometimes you just really want to do something crafty and you aren't happy until you have a completed project? Well that was this weekend for me. It started with wanting something to go above Carter's changing table. I have looked and looked for a picture of an airplane and couldn't find just the right thing. I saw on HGTV last week that you can frame fabric, so that made me think of framing scrapbook paper. So I went to Archivers in search of airplane scrapbook paper. No luck. But I did find paper in the colors of his room. Added to some Hobby Lobby wooden letters with a little Mod Podge, this is the finished product.


Carter's bedding is Vintage Airplanes and it's different colors of blues, beiges, greens, whites and a little red. I really liked how the "T" pulled the color red into his room. So that made me want to add other red accents. I had also been meaning to update his shelves with "big boy" things - maybe some framed pictures. So I painted two frames - one red and one navy. The frames now hold pictures of his grandparents and cousins on both sides of the family. He noticed the pictures right away and now loves to look at them!

In the pictures of Carter's shelves, notice the cool lunchbox made by Carter's Aunt Kelly for Valentine's Day. I was and am still way impressed with her! She also used scrapbooking paper (a great new craft resource, if you ask me) and stickers to personalize Carter's very own lunchbox. Too cute! Also notice Carter's first piece of art. Next to the navy picture frame there is a small painted canvas with a navy blue star. As I was painting the frames, Carter kept coming over to check out what I was doing. So we decided to roll up his sleeves and let him paint too. I had the canvas and star in the closet downstairs - and wah-la - a masterpiece!

Since the letters had turned out so well and I had seen such cool scrapbook paper, I started to wonder what else I could do with this very exciting new craft find. (New to me at least.) I asked Cary if he could cut some wood into 12 x 12 squares - and since he's a man always ready for a project - he agreed. We went to Lowe's and bought one big piece of wood and he cut it into 6 squares. He also sanded and spray-painted the edges. I went back to Archivers and searched for paper to match our downstairs bathroom. Well I ended up also finding paper that matched our bedroom too. So now three of our rooms have new square artwork - all for under $25 total! We're both a little worried that we went overboard with the whole "square" theme. But hey, if we get tired of them in a few months, we'll find something new with nothing lost!
Downstairs Bathroom
Master Bathroom
Our Bedroom

2 comments:

RachelMarie said...

LOVIN' the art projects Ali! Hope you had fun w/ them! Way to go! You ARE crafty! :)

MadKanga said...

Very impressed! I'm more impressed that you can get that done WITH a one-year old following your every move! Can't wait to see it all in person!