Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Bedtime

The other night, Cary came back downstairs after putting Carter to bed and said that rocking Carter at night is his favorite time of day. I have to say that I agree. There's nothing better than sitting in Carter's quiet room, holding the little guy on my lap, and talking to him about his day. It used to be that I'd hold him in my arms. When he got too long and his legs draped over the arms of the chair, I would just hold him on my lap and he'd lay his head on my shoulder. And now recently he asks to just sit next to me in the rocker. I think when we're rocking in Carter's room, the entire world just stops for a few minutes. Carter sings Silent Night and Jingle Bells and The Wheels on the Bus. He gives kisses and big hugs. He answers your questions about what he did that day. He asks that you read a book "one last time." He twists my hair around his finger. He asks for Mommy or Daddy to "rock you." He listens as we pray. He holds on so tight around your neck when you try to lay him down. And on some occasions, like tonight, he tells you that he got a time-out at daycare because he pushed another child. He's just so sweet and innocent that he doesn't even know how to lie. I don't want him to grow up yet. I can't imagine any age better than this one.

1 comment:

alicia said...

That is precious! Carter is lucky to have such a great Mommy and Daddy too!