Last Thursday Carter hosted his first Valentine's party! He invited all of his cousins: Joey & Maddox, Katelyn, and Davis & Bennett. Since Bennett is just 9 months old, he stayed with Grandma Bobbi while the other kids came over for some Valentine fun! First on the agenda was mking personalized mailboxes. I found the red and white mini-mailboxes in the Target dollar aisle. The kids just used Mod Podge and cut up Valentine tissue paper to decorate the mailboxes. Carter had absolutely no interest in this, but the other four kids did a great job. At one point Davis said "Oooh...I LOVE crafts!" The kids worked diligently for a good 10 minutes and used almost an entire container of Mod Podge. I think the craft was a hit!




As we waited for our mailboxes to dry, we did a little dancing...

And a lot of wrestling with Uncle Cary...

Once the mailboxes were dry, I added some glitter letters and personalized each one a little bit. Then I stuffed them with Valentine's that each child had brought with them for the other kids. The grandparents also sent little cards and treats for the kids. By the time I was done, the mini mailboxes were full with treats.





Before we opened the treats, we all had dinner. I had picked up a heart-shaped pizza from Papa Murphy's.

I couldn't resist taking these cute pictures of the kids praying before they ate. We went around the table and each child said their own prayer...whatever they usually say at home. Too sweet.


After dinner, we told everyone that cupid had been there and had delivered mail to their mailboxes. They were all so excited!

And then, as if they hadn't had enough sugar, it was time to decorate Valentine cupcakes. It was so funny to watch how each child chose to decorate theirs. Carter just ate the candy hearts and wasn't interested in decorating the cupcake at all. Notice his cheek full of candy hearts...

Katelyn totally got into the whole decorating thing. She didn't go overboard, but made sure that she used a variety of colored sugars.

Davis liked the cinnamon hearts and was careful about his decorating. But once it was time to eat the cupcakes, he only took a few bites.


Maddox decorated with a lot of red sugar and a few cinnamon hearts.

And then there was Joey. Oh Joey. He just kept pouring one sugar after another onto the top of his cupcake. It was literally heaping with sprinkles when he was done. It sure was pretty to look at, but I'd hate to think about how much sugar he ate in that one little cupcake!


Then once the kids were all finished with their dessert, we put on a movie and tried to snap a few group photos.

Before the night was over, we played a little Valentine Bingo and Cary taught them how to play with a paper football. The boys loved it!

By 8:30 when their parents came, we had some extremely tired kids. There were so many tears as everyone left. Davis cried and cried because he didn't want to leave. And Carter cried and cried because he wanted to go with them. I guess it shows that this kiddos all really love being together!

Here's what we noticed...
-Carter isn't quite old enough to play the same things that the other kids play. He had more fun pushing his big fire truck through the living room as they played other games. Every time the big kids would be in the living room, Carter would go downstairs. And if they went downstairs, he'd come up to the front room. At one point I found him hiding under the end table in the living room. I know he loves to be around his cousins, but I think he likes his space too.
-Boys are just rougher than girls. Katelyn liked playing with the boys and wrestled right along with them, but there was definitely a limit for her. She is just sweet and gets her feelings hurt and sometimes would rather be with me than with the boys. And that was just fine...she was my little side-kick. Us girls have to stick together! :) She helped me stuff the mailboxes and told all of the kids that they had mail. She liked being a little helper!
-Davis is a great eater. He ate his cucumbers and carrots all gone and ate two pieces of pizza. But unlike my child, he didn't care too much about the yogurt drink and the cupcake. I think he lacks that sweet tooth that Carter has!
-Joey is such a great big cousin. At one point we heard him say "You have to be careful of Carter, he's still a little boy." He really is aware of others and looks out for the other kids. And the other kids look up to him.
-Maddox is funny. He just is. He has this great personality and talks alot and smiles even more. He's the "go-with-the-flow" kid and just didn't get upset or unhappy all night long.
-Cary and I are so blessed to have 6 wonderful little kids in our lives. We were so happy to have
the oldest 5 over for a few hours and can't wait for Bennett to join us for our next little party! We also learned that we will never be the Duggar's with 19 kids. When everyone left, we totally crashed. It was a fun night, but we definitely couldn't do that every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment