Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Flowers and More

It was a beautiful weekend. The weather was warm...really warm. And our agenda was small. That is what I call the PERFECT weekend! One of Carter's highlights - planting flowers with Grandma Bobbi. Bobbi has a total green thumb, and I kill almost every plant. Often times I will come home from work and find that all of my house plants have been watered, fertilized and plucked - the sign that my mother-in-law has been in my house. So this weekend, Bobbi tried to sneak into our house while we were gone. She even called ahead to ask what we had planned that afternoon. Cary told her that we were going on a bike ride...and when she thought the coast was clear, she pulled into our driveway with some potting soil and flowers. When she saw Carter in the window, I watched her contemplate backing out and coming back again when we were gone. But instead, she was caught! Although I would have been pleasantly surprised to have found two new pots full of beautiful flowers, it was fun to watch Carter "help" her. In the end, Carter had dirt under his fingernails and the flowers look gorgeous on our back deck. Thanks, Bobbi!


Other highlights of our weekend included:
-A playdate with Katelyn. Andy and Kate came over on Saturday morning and spent the afternoon with us at the park. We had lunch together and spent the day watching the kids play. Boy does Carter love his cousin!
-My sweet little Shelby's high school graduation party. I started babysitting for Shelby when she was 2. In the five years that I babysat for her, I became so close with her family and her little brother. I even called them "my kids." Although I keep up with Shelby's life via Facebook, I hadn't seen her since my wedding 5 years ago. It was great to see the beautiful woman that she had become. So sweet and poised and kind and adorable.
-Cary's cousin Chuckie's high school graduation party. We had great food and lots of conversation and Carter loved playing with the other little kids there. It was a really nice and low-key night.
-Lots of little projects around the house: laundry, cleaning, Cary re-caulked our shower and fixed a leaky toilet, Cary mowed and picked up sticks, we cleaned up the back deck and power washed it, I made a few meals and fruit pizza, Cary fixed our grill and even squeezed in time for a bike ride.
-The series finale of Lost. I can't say that I completely understand the ending or what the writers had in mind....but the 2 1/2 hour finale was definitely an event in our house. It's the end of an era, really. ;)
2 days of school left with the kiddos!!! Yippee!!!!!!

No comments: