Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Life...

We've just been hanging around the past couple of weeks.  Spring Break is over, we've had 70 degree weather, tornado warnings, and now snow.  I haven't had my camera out too much because, well my lens is broken, and I haven't had a ton of things to document.  But here's what we've been up to...

-After a busy Spring Break, Cary and I asked my parents to watch the kids so we could have a date night.  It was much needed...time for us to have a normal conversation without being interrupted a bazillion times.  We went to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner and then saw the movie "Limitless."  A good movie and a fun night.

-A nasty cold stormed through our house last week.  Cary had it Sunday through Wednesday.  My voice started to get raspy on Wednesday and by Saturday I really didn't feel well.  Luckily, neither of the kids seemed to get it.  Carter had a slight fever and Brynn has had a runny nose, but for the most part, they're healthy.

-On Wednesday, the kids and I spent some time with my good friend Kelly and her kids Griffin and MacLain.  We went to the mall play place, ate pretzels with the kids, played with the Thomas train set at Von Maur, threw money in the fountain, attempted to shop at Baby Gap, and then had lunch.  All four kids were gems...they walked nicely, rode quietly in the strollers, and had a ball.  So much fun.

-Holly and Maddox came over one morning to play while Joey was at school.  Holly and I did absolutely nothing...just sat and talked and played with Brynn while the boys played together.  We put Brynn in the jumper thing for the first time and she loved it.  She's such a big girl now.  Time goes too fast.

-Friday night I chaperoned the middle school dance. Definitely one of my least favorite parts of my job! The girls' shorts were short, the boys loaded on the cologne, and the music was loud. 15 years ago, that would have sounded awesome. This year, I counted down the minutes until the dance was done.

-Saturday night we had some of Cary's friends over for dinner.  Drew, Sean and Jess all came over and we put together a dinner for our friend Bubba and his new girlfriend, Leanna.  It was totally laid-back, Carter played with his trains in the basement for the first hour and then showed off for everyone after that.  It was nice to just hang out with everyone, not have to get too dressed up or pretend that we were completely healthy or worry about our kids being naughty or embarrassing us.  It was nice and we were in bed by 10:00.  :)

-Cary left for a work trip to Atlanta on Sunday.  I hate when he flies somewhere and is gone...even for a day.  I don't sleep well when he's not in the house.  I miss his help with the kids.  And I miss him.  But it was a quick trip and I remind myself that some people's spouses travel often or are deployed...so once in a while is not so bad.

-Sunday afternoon I took Carter to our neighbor's 9th birthday party.  Carter was much younger than the other kids (all family members) and he acted shy and even turned down a cupcake.  Brynn was tired and my voice was practically gone.  None-the-less, it was fun to be there to celebrate Joey's birthday.  We just love their family and I was honored that they invited us to their family birthday party!

-Alicia came over Sunday night for a "girls night."  What was supposed to be girl-talk, pizza and a chick-flick, ended up being Alicia helping me with the kids.  She fed Brynn while I got Carter his dinner.  She helped give Brynn her bath while I gave Carter his shower.  She put Brynn to bed while I read Carter his bedtime stories.  It was 8:30 by the time the kids were in bed and so we just chatted and ate ice cream.  A mini-girls night.  I sure appreciated her help though!

-Yesterday was Carter's very first swim lesson.  We're taking a class called Auquatots through the Des Moines Public Schools.  There were about 7 kids and one teacher, and the parents get in the water.  As the teacher was doing introductions and another boy raised his hand to ask a question, Carter yelled out "Mom, can I talk to the teacher too??"  I then realized that he has never been in any sort of class.  Ever.  This was his first time of listening to a teacher, having to follow the rules, having to take turns, and raise his hand.  It was interesting, but he did pretty well.  He learned that he has to be touching the wall when the teacher is talking.  And that he has to walk, not run by the pool.  He practiced floating on his back and tummy, blowing bubbles, getting his face wet, jumping in the pool and also easing himself in from the edge.  He did such a great job and made his mama proud!  Bobbi and Joe kept Brynn while we were gone, which was so nice.  They even let me stay for dinner so I didn't have to hang out alone at home.  I was definitely a mooch.

-And now it's Tuesday.  Cary will be home tonight and we'll all be glad.  Tomorrow is my day off and I'm hoping the snow will melt and my voice will be back!  This family is ready for spring!!!

No comments: