Sunday, January 20, 2013

Fill Your Freezer Day

Right before Thanksgiving, my friend Ellie and I decided to make some casseroles to stock up our freezers for the winter.  And with all of the great recipes on Pinterest, we ended up with about 18 meals each.  We shopped together that morning and assembled and cooked that afternoon...and 6 hours later we were finally done.  Although it was a long day, it was so worth it.  Honestly, I cooked only three homemade meals between Thanksgiving and mid-January.  Everything else came from the freezer.  It was AWESOME!  So as my freezer was starting to get bare, it was time for another fill your freezer day! :)

Yesterday, my friends Ellie, Kelly and I spent 5 hours making 21 meals for each of us to take home.  Again, it was a ton of work and we were wiped-out by the end...but looking at my freezer and knowing that I don't have to spend time cooking on weeknights makes me sooo happy!




Why freezer cooking works for me: I love pulling something out of the freezer before I go to bed one night and having a home-cooked meal the next night.  It's mindless, really.  It also cuts down on the big trips to the grocery store.  Although I still go to the store once a week, I just have to pick up our daily items (milk, juice, cereal, fruit, etc) and any side dishes.  Add a bag of salad or some fresh veggies to the frozen main-dish and I'm all set.  :) 

How we  did it: Since there were three of us this time, each one of us came up with three recipes.  I couldn't narrow it down, so I actually did four.  Then we were each in charge of buying the ingredients for our three recipes.  We took each recipe times 6...meaning that we each got to take home 2 of each casserole.  It sounds a bit overwhelming, but it worked.  As we assembled the meals, we did one recipe at a time but divided up the jobs...chopping, stirring, etc.  We worked fast and each had a hand in each recipe.  

How much it cost: Well we spent just under $200 for 21 meals.  I thought under $10 a meal was great!  And most of the items would have enough for left-overs.  

What we made: We tried to have a nice variety of meats and meal-types.  Some were done in foil 9x13 pans, some in freezer bags to be baked, and others are crock-pot items.  I also made a list of the items, side-dish ideas, what is still needed for the recipe, and cooking instructions.  The list is on my freezer and I'll check off the items as we use them.  Here's a list of what we made this time around:

-Ham & Cheese Hashbrowns
-Mini Meat Loaves
-Meatball Subs
-French Dip Sandwiches
-Lasagna

Can't wait to try them out!!  


No comments: