Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Let the Christmas decorating begin...

Since I was home on Thursday with a sick boy, I decided to spend his naptime putting up some Christmas decorations. I realize that I am WAY early on this...but I had been thinking about my mantel decorations for the past month and I just couldn't wait any longer!

I started collecting clear, glass candle holders and containers a few weeks ago. I picked up most of them at Chuck's Bargain Barn, a place that is just like it sounds. It is an actual barn (or two..or three) outside of Guthrie Center that is just full of bargains. Some may call the stuff in there junk...but I was searching for some real treasures! While there, I picked up 3 beige/gray ceramic candlesticks, 3 clear candle holders, and 2 glass containers with pretty lids...all for a whopping total of $15. I put the ceramic candlesticks on my dining room table and used the clear items for my mantel. I also added some things from around my house to the mantel: a couple of vases, some candlesticks from our wedding, lots of white candles and other random white, gold and clear items from my decorating closet. I've rearranged the mantel several times since Thursday, but here's how it looks today:




It's a work in progress for sure. One thing I love about it is that it doesn't scream Christmas...it looks more wintery. And I love that because it means I can leave it up until January!

I added a few other Christmas items to the shelves. I put some silver ornaments into a black bowl (the ornaments were $5 for 12 at Wal-Mart).


I found this glittery "WISH" sign at Kohl's for 50% off. Love it!


Things I already had but had never put together like this...


I taped the silver Merry Christmas sign ($1 at Wal-Mart) to one of my white dinner plates. Easy enough.


Now that I have just a few Christmas things up in the house, I've totally been bitten by the decorating bug. More to come...

2 comments:

Kara said...

Ali, your decorations look great! It is actually making me want to decorate too.....I am thinking this weekend!

Evie said...

I am so ready to decorate for Christmas too!!! Your house looks awesome!