Cary had a conference in Chicago last week so I got to tag along. It was not really the best time to go since school had just started for me, it was Carter's first week of full-day kindergarten, and we had just gotten settled into our house. But I wasn't to pass-up a four day getaway! :)
We got in on Saturday and made a quick stop at Ikea and checked-in at our hotel. We stayed right on the river downtown and the location couldn't have been better. Lots to do in the area, a great view from our room, and within walking distance to tons of good restaurants. We hit up a few places on Saturday night and just enjoyed the beautiful weather and great ambiance.
On Sunday we found this great riverside cafe for breakfast and then hopped on a water taxi. We had no plan in mind and ended up in China Town. We just wandered for a bit and eventually ended up at the movie "We are the Millers." So funny!! We also had a weird stop at a highly recommended bar, The Wit, but we're too old for that type of craziness. :) After dinner, we topped off the night at Howl at the Moon, a piano bar we'd visited during our last trip to Chicago almost 10 years ago. Just as much fun as I'd remembered.
Cary's conference was Monday and Tuesday so I was on my own. I spent Monday with my friend Katie who took me to all of the fun stores we don't have in Des Moines: West Elm, Crate and Barrel, The Container Store, and Land of Nod. We had lunch, I got to see her new house, and we toured her neighborhood. The guys met us for dinner in Old Town and we had a great time just catching up.
Tuesday was unique for me in that I was completely alone for a full day without kids, laundry, school, or anything that I had to do. I walked to some of my favorite stores: Zara, H&M, Home Goods and Anthropologie. I met Cary and his coworker for lunch. I walked down Michigan Avenue and even stopped for a cupcake. And when Cary's conference was over, we drove back to Des Moines.
Chicago really treated us right. I feel like this was our first time of really experiencing downtown Chicago and it will now be on our list of regular trips! Can't wait to go back!
No comments:
Post a Comment