Monday, September 23, 2013

Girlfriends!

A couple of weekends ago while Cary was visiting friends in Indianapolis, I invited two of my closest high school friends and their daughters to come stay for a girls' weekend.  Although Alicia was always my very best friend, Tara and Katie were also two of my closest companions.  Katie was my friend who lived just down the street, was always a wonderful cook, and had so much class (she shopped at Marshall Fields, owned Estee Lauder make-up and wore expensive perfume when we were in middle school!).  I always loved getting into deep conversations with her about religion and future jobs and everything else adult-like.  She was kind of beyond her years and really helped keep me grounded. When I moved to Iowa City after college, Katie was my only friend in town.  I could always count on her for a good conversation, fun shopping trip or good dinner and a movie.  Now Katie is married with a 3-year-old daughter and works as an attorney in Eastern Iowa.  I'm lucky to see her once a year, so I was so excited when she agreed to come to WDM for the weekend!!

Tara was my bubbly, always in a good mood, extroverted friend.  She said what was on her mind, had the best sense of humor, and just made everything fun.  She was the type of friend that I could call at any time and she would be there with no judgement.  Tara and I shared the love of cheerleading and I always loved her bright and happy nature.  In high school she stopped drinking pop and drank orange juice like it was going out of style.  She was friends with everyone in all different social groups at school, but she and I always stayed connected.  Tara now lives in Western Iowa with her husband, 3-year-old daughter and 1-year-old son.  And...she left teaching to take a job as a guidance counselor!  Now we have even more in common!
Tara, me, Katie
The girls and I had the best time on Saturday.  We had lunch on the deck while the little girls played in the yard.  We sat around and shared pictures from our phones, told stories about our lives, piled into my car to take the kids to the park, and spent a few hours just catching up.  The three little girls (and Carter!) played so nicely together.  So nicely in fact that we barely saw them!  After the babysitter came, the three of us headed for pedicures and wine.  Then we met up with Alicia for dinner.  (Alicia, who just got engaged, deserves an entire post about our friendship over the years.  That will come later!)  At dinner we laughed so hard, talked about old times and our new lives and I was reminded of why I loved these girls so much in the past and still am glad to have them as friends.  Plus...they make me feel tall for once!  At 5'4", I am a good 2 inches taller than all three of them!  :)  It was just the best night and I smile thinking about how fun it is to reconnect with friends who know maybe a little too much about my past!
At the park.

Ice cream!!!
Dinner!  Me, Katie, Alicia & Tara


No comments: