Monday, September 2, 2013

Our New House

Now that our remodel is coming to an end, I'm excited to finally post some pictures of the final product. We don't have much artwork on the walls yet and still are waiting on a shower door and hood extender for our kitchen oven.  But other than that, the house is done.  I can't believe all of the changes that have taken place in this home over the past two months.  As Cary's parents' home, we loved this place for so many reasons....the natural light, great open floor-plan, plenty of bedrooms, quiet neighborhood and general warmth and great memories within the house. And now that it's been turned into our home, we couldn't be happier.

The Kitchen
I've wanted a white kitchen for several years.  The pictures don't quite show how bright this space can get, but I've caught myself leaving my sunglasses on while cooking without even realizing it.  We put in a big window overlooking the back yard and added a larger window over the sink.  We also redesigned the island layout.  Some of my favorite things are the white shelves on the left from IKEA, the long island, the white subway tile backsplash, and the gray countertops.  This is by far my favorite room in the house! :)







The Mudroom/Back Entry
This space used to be the pantry and is now a place to collect all of our kids shoes, coats, backpacks, etc.  So far it's working out perfectly and the kids actually have been good about putting their shoes in their own baskets.  We'll see how long that lasts. 

The Dining Area
The house doesn't have a separate dining room, but has a nice walk-through area between the kitchen and living room for our dining table.  Cary's parents' had this awesome long, 12-seater table that extended the entire length of the room.  With the larger island we had to downsize the table a bit.  It was hard to imagine a round table in this space but we think it really works out well.  We definitely can't fit the entire Coppola clan around this one, but it works for us! :)

The Living Room
The fireplace was all Cary's idea.  He designed it without changing the original framing of the old fireplace.  They just tore off the oak paneling, added wood strips that were stained dark, surrounded the fire box with stainless steel, and added floating shelves.  I have to admit that I was nervous about the dark color, but I love it now.  Now to get those shelves decorated just right...

The couch and chairs were both Homemaker's finds and as the bargain shopper that I am, I was pumped to find the chairs in the clearance room.  The room still looks a little bare but I'm looking for the perfect artwork.





Master Bedroom / Bathroom
This room definitely needs some decorations and things on the walls, but we're loving it for now.  I think the biggest change we've noticed from our old house is the king bed!  This room is laid out so that it is directly attached to the master bathroom.  The bathroom layout stayed the same but we put in a new shower, tub, vanity, tile and storage.  We are both so happy with the final look.  And the kids are loving the jacuzzi tub!





Guest Bathroom
We kept much of this room the same, just replaced the oak trim with white and replaced the vanity. The original tile looks great and matches the general look of the house too!


Brynn's Room
It's pink!  This might actually be my second-favorite room.  I love it and so far she does too!  Other than new white trim and new closet doors, this room is the same as it was before...just girlified.





Carter's Room
Carter's room is coming along but isn't quite finished yet.  And please excuse the books and animals all over his bed and floor....he was making a "zoo" when I took the photos.  :)  We went with a street-sign theme for his room.  I'm hoping to collect more as time goes on.  AND we had this great old stop sign that somehow got misplaced in the move.  Hoping it will turn up sometime soon.  He loves his room and has been spending lots of time in his "quiet zone."




The Playroom
The extra bedroom in the basement, which was Cary's bedroom as a kid, is now the playroom. Unfortunately, the kids haven't played in here that much since it's downstairs, but I'm hoping that will change as they get older.  It's definitely been a good place to store toys and send the kids to play when they have friends over.
To see other pictures of the basement, check-out an older blog post from earlier this summer here.


The Back Deck
Nothing new or different back here.  I'm hoping that this hot weather will go away so we can actually enjoy this space again!



No comments: