Tuesday, December 1, 2009

And the Christmas Decorating Continues....

Well it was Thanksgiving weekend and what does that mean? Time to put up ALL of the Christmas decorations, of course! I'd been bugging Cary about putting up our tree for several days and I'd been dreaming about a great family evening of Christmas spirit - holiday music, hot chocolate, Carter placing the ornaments gently on the tree, all of us laughing and smiling and soaking up the holiday spirit as a family. Can you picture it?? Well that's not how it went. The Christmas music was playing and Cary and I were both happily decorating the tree, but Carter wanted nothing to do with it. He spent the entire hour in the other living room playing with his cars - surprise, surprise. There was no "oooh, ahhh" moment when he saw the tree for the first time. And when we did finally get him to put a few ornaments on the tree, he placed three green icicles right next to each other. I mean seriously, doesn't the kid know how to space out the decorations so that the tree looks proportionate? Apparently not. Even when we put up his two ornaments (one for each year), he pulled them right back off. So...lesson learned...two-year-olds do not understand how much fun decorating a Christmas tree can be. I guess there's always next year.

Here are some shots of our finished tree. This year we did it in silver, green and brown.
And here's Carter putting his Elmo ornament from last year on the lowest branch. You'd better believe it has been pulled from it's place numberous times in the past 2 days. Notice that Elmo does not exactly match our color theme. Oh well...this is the family tree after all.
And one more addition to our living room Christmas decor - stockings! I know I should probably have cute, brightly-colored stockings that we can use from year to year. But for this year, these matched perfectly. Cary hung them with a nail so that the little man couldn't pull them down. Good thinkin'.

1 comment:

Kate at Dream To Life said...

Oh my gosh, Ali!!! Your house looks so gorgeous!! I wish we all lived closer....we could go from house to house and celebrate! miss you guys! xoxo,kate