Monday, December 14, 2009

Puff Pastry Pot Pie!

Recently I have really been in to trying new recipes. Most people that know me know that I much prefer baking to cooking. I'm just not really a great cook. I want to be...I really do. But it seems like the things I make turn out just okay...not great. So that's why I continue to make the same tried and true recipes over and over again - lasagna, tacos, turkey breasts in the crock pot, chili, etc. But then I end up in a food rut. So recently I've really been trying to make something new at least once a week. Most of the recipes have been from one of the following places:
-Taste of Home magazine
-You've Got Supper.com
-Iowa Girl Eats.com
-Kraft Food and Family magazine
Last night I tried something different...and it was actually pretty good! It was super easy, I had most of the ingredients on hand, and it took less than 30 minutes. If you're looking for something that fits that description, here ya go!
Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie
1 pkg. chicken breast tenders
2 Tbspns. olive oil
1 small onion
1 pkg. frozen veggies (I used a mixture of peas, corn, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.)
1 pkg. puff pastry shells
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cook puff pastry shells for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in skillet. Add cubed chicken breasts or tenders. Cook until chicken is done (maybe 10 minutes or so). Remove chicken and rinse pan. Heat 1 Tbspn. olive oil in same pan and add chopped onion. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add cream of chicken soup, milk and veggies. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover until veggies are cooked. Add chicken and heat another 5 minutes. By this time, the shells should be done. Let them cool a few minutes. Cut the "tops" off the shells and fill them with the chicken and veggie mixture.

No comments: