No pictures this time, Folks. Why? Because apparently my camera has been in hiding for the past week. It's very unlike me, but I don't think I've taken a single picture in the last 10 days. My favorite part of a blog is always the pictures, so this blog post will unfortunately been a little more boring and less colorful.
Christmas has obviously taken over and I LOVE it! I really, truly, from the bottom of my heart love the Christmas season. Lately, we've been doing lots of "Christmasy" things as a family. On several different occassions, we have driven around and looked at Christmas lights. Carter is OBSESSED with this big blow-up nutcracker guy in a yard several neighborhoods away. Nearly every night he asks to see "little drummer boy." Honestly, the thing is not that cool and I have no idea why he loves it so much. But, since we love to make Carter's day, we end up driving by it s.l.o.w.l.y. so that Carter can just stare at his new obsession. Cary even took a picture of it on his iPhone....it just doesn't have the same magic in the picture.
Last Saturday night we took Carter to the IMAX theater to watch the Polar Express. We knew we were taking a risk spending the $22.50 and quite possibly only lasting in that theater for 20 minutes or so. When we walked in I was overwhelmed by the size of the screen. I just didn't think there was any way Carter could really watch a movie on a screen that big. But with a bucket of popcorn and a sippy full of milk, he was in heaven. He sat on my lap for about an hour with his hand just resting in the popcorn, only actually eating a handful a few times. Then he moved to Cary's lap and just as the Polar Express was ready to head back home, Carter wanted down. Cary and I were both shocked at how long Carter stayed entertained. I see many more movies in our future!
We also spent the weekend with our friends: the Donnenwerth's, Murphy's and August's. On Friday night, they all came over to our house and we just ate pizza and watched the kids play. They are finally at the age where Macy, Riley and Carter can really play together and not need constant supervision and interaction from the adults. Then on Sunday, the Murphy's hosted our Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner. The Donnenwerth's weren't able to make it because Mike was en route to his very last podiatry rotation in La Crosse, Wisconsin. The Muprhy's made the turkey (Emeril style!), mashed potatoes, gravy and mimosas. The August's brought rolls and homemade stuffing, and Cary and I made green bean casserole and a pumpkin pie. It was all really good and lots of fun!
This work-week has been extra crazy due to the huge snowstorm in Iowa. We had an 1:30 dismissal from school on Tuesday and then school was cancelled yesterday and today. Since most of the businesses in Des Moines were also closed, Cary stayed home yesterday too. We mostly just lounged around the house and watched a Veggie Tales movie and ate popcorn. Then last night Holly, Joe and the boys came over. It was last-minute and was so much fun. It just reminded me of how I used to love when my cousins or our family friends would come over when I was younger. It seemed like my mom and aunt always had the best food and us kids would just play and play and play. It makes me smile just to think about those nights, and I want Carter to have those same memories. Joey, Maddox and Carter really play well together and the three of them sat at one table for dinner while us adults ate in the dining room. Cary kept telling Joey that he was in-charge, which Joey obviously LOVED! The boys played in the basement for hours and before we knew it, it was almost 10:00. What a great way to end our snow day!!
Since school was cancelled again today, Carter and I have just been hanging out. Alicia came over for coffee, which was fun. It's so nice that she only lives a few blocks away! I also cleaned the house, did several loads of laundry, played with play-dough with Carter, watched the movie Cars, danced with Carter to the Bear Hunt song several times, did some puzzles and read some books with Carter, looked up some new recipes, stayed in our jammies until 1:00, tried out my new HUGE hair-rollers, gave myself a manicure and pedicure, and now and finally am blogging. It's been a good day...and it's only Thursday! YIPPEE!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment